DashVibe

Former Prominent Actress Winona Ryder Had A Major Downfall In Hollywood- What Happened To Her?

In her three-decade acting career, Winona Ryder has gone from being a superstar to an outcast in the industry. How did she reemerge?

Winona Ryder has starred in a number of blockbuster films. We have seen some of her best performances in the films like The Crucible, Mermaids, The Age Of Innocence, Girl Interrupted, Edward Scissorhands, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Little Woman, and many more.

The actress had also been awarded the Golden Globe and Screen Guild Awards for her amazing acting. Moreover, she has received two Academy Award nominations. In 2000, she received a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

What Happened To Winona Ryder Actually? 

Winona Ryder slowly vanished from Hollywood after the release of her movie Mr. Deeds. The picture was a box office success, although it received mixed reviews from critics. After this, the actress's career began to deteriorate, and she took a break from acting.

By 2001, Ryder had struggled with depression and anxiety which led her to see a quack doctor named Jules Mark Lusman. He reportedly had proscribed her medications that the actress began abusing. 

she was insane for that pic.twitter.com/msQMFZJpLc

— best of winona ryder (@BESTOFWlNONA) May 26, 2022

She also sustained an injury on the set of "Mr. Deeds," prompting the studio doctor to prescribe even more pills to Ryder.

According to Ryder, it was the influence of drugs that led to her shoplifting case. A year later, she was also charged with grand theft and vandalism.

After not working for nearly four years, she appeared as cameos in  “Star Trek” and “Black Swan. She slowly reemerged by appearing in movies like “The Dilemma,” “The Iceman,” “Homefront,” “The Experimenter,” and “Show Me a Hero.” 

Finally, fifteen years later, Winona Ryder returned to stardom in the Stranger Things, which also earned her SAG and Golden Globe nominations.

Reasons For Winona Ryder's Career Downfall After Getting Arrested

Actress Winona Ryder was arrested for shoplifting in the year 2001. This is perhaps, one of the most embarrassing downfalls for a top-level actress. 

Back in 2001, the actress was found guilty of theft and shoplifting merchandise at the Saks Fifth Avenue store. She was blamed for stealing items worth $5,560. The merchandise as reported were a $750 worth Marc Jacobs sweater, a few Frederic Fekkai hair adornments worth about $600, and a cashmere pair from Donna Karan worth $80.

I was eleven years old when my mother reading from a newspaper, told me that Winona Ryder had been arrested for shoplifting from Marc Jacobs, and I’ve loved her ever since. https://t.co/lIa7fC7Wek

— Sarah Kellapatha (@saararrr) June 1, 2022

Initially, many refused to believe that Ryder had stolen such items. Some thought that it was a misunderstanding, however, in 2013, the actress herself confessed her crime. She stated that she went through a rough period and that mishappening had helped her crash to the ground.

After the incident, Ryder was found guilty of theft and had to serve around 480 hours of community service. This also ruined her career as a leading actress.

Ryder's present net worth is estimated to be around $18 million USD, as per Celebrity Net Worth

What Was Winona Ryder And Johnny Depp Story?

Winona Ryder and Johnny Depp were engaged for nearly four years beginning in July 1990. They were the most admired couple during the period.

Because of the age gap between them, their relationship was often criticized as Johnny was 27 and  Winona was 18, at the time. They had implied that the media attention to their relationship was the reason behind their split. 

ncG1vNJzZmirmKTEo7XZnKarppWne6S7zGiuoZmkYrWivM%2BepZ6cXam8bsPIp6anmV2nxqWx0WaYnKyllrmtxQ%3D%3D

Fernande Dalal

Update: 2024-05-09