DashVibe

Emmy-Winning Actress Elizabeth Hubbard Dies at 89

Elizabeth Hubbard, best known for her appearance on CBS’ As The World Turns, has passed away at the age of 89. The actress died over the weekend, her son has confirmed. The cause of death has not been announced as of now.

Hubbard was an 11-time Daytime Emmy nominee. She became famous for playing the trouble-making businesswoman Lucinda Walsh in As The World Turns and also starred in several other shows and films. Read on to know more about her life and career.

Emmy Winning Actress Elizabeth Hubbard Dies at 89

Hubbard’s son, Jeremy Bennett, announced her death with a statement on Facebook on Monday. “I’m sorry to say with a broken heart mi mum passed over the weekend. Thank you for being an unmovable rock that guided me through life. I will try to honour your memory for as long as I live. Love & Prayers. Jeremy,” he wrote.

Born in 1933 in New York City, Hubbard graduated from Radcliffe College in 1955. She then attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and became the first American to receive a silver medal at the institute. She married David Bennett in 1970 and welcomed her son Jeremy in 1971. A year later, she divorced her husband.

Hubbard was Nominated for the Daytime Emmys 11 Times

The actress started her career with the soap opera Guiding Light in 1962. She played the role of Carol Kramer on The Edge of Night the following year. In 1964, she joined NBC’s The Doctors as Dr. Althea Davis and portrayed the character for five years. She returned to the series from 1970 to 1977 and then again from 1981 to 1982.

For her portrayal, she was honored with an Emmy Award for Best Actress in Daytime Drama For a Series. In 1983, she briefly appeared in ABC’s One Life To Live. The following year, she had a breakthrough with her performance on As The World Turns. Hubbard starred in the show until its very end in 2010 and was nominated eight times for Daytime Emmys.

She also acted in the films I Never Sang for My Father, Ordinary People, and The Bell Jar. In 1975, she starred in the television film First Ladies Diaries and won her second Emmy for Outstanding Actress in a Daytime Drama Special.

Tributes Pour in for the Actress

Hubbard’s fans and colleagues from the industry are mourning her death on social media and paying tributes to the actress. “Rest in peace, Elizabeth Hubbard. Not only was she a phenomenal actress, but she was a great human. One of the first soap stars I ever interviewed. Her mind for the art form was top notch. She will truly be missed. #ATWT,” tweeted television critic Ryan.

A fan wrote, “Saw on Facebook that the one and only Elizabeth Hubbard passed away this weekend. I loved Lucinda on #ATWT and thanks to Alan Locher I got to see that the woman was even more fantastic than the character. Condolences to her family both off and on screen.”

Our condolences to Elizabeth Hubbard’s family and friends. May her soul rest in peace!

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7rbjAp5ylpJmdsrOty51lnKedZINxfo6epKaxXay2r7rIp55mmZOpv6a%2F0macpaGqlq%2BmwMdmn66akpa%2FpXnDopysZZGpenmFjg%3D%3D

Fernande Dalal

Update: 2024-05-05